Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A friendly reminder....

I found this poem on line this morning...just HAD to share. Not all of us say comments like this (most of us don't) but every so often we might think them.

A Child's Plea
The poem EVERY parent should read!


Today I did my math and science.
I toasted bread, I halved and quartered, counted, measured, and used my eyes, ears and hands.
I added and subtracted on the way.
I used magnets, blocks and memory tray.
I learned about a rainbow and how to weigh.
So please don't say -

'ANYTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?'

You see. I'm sharing as I play, to learn to listen and speak clearly when I talk
to wait my turn and when inside to walk.
To put my words into a phrase, to find my name and write it down.
To do it with a smile and not a frown,
to put my pasting brush away. So please, don't say -

WHAT NOTHING IN YOUR BAG TODAY?'

I learned about a snail and a worm.
Remembered how to take my turn.
Helped a friend when he was stuck.
Learned that water runs off a duck.
Looked at words from left to right.
Agreed to differ, not to fight.
So please don't say -

'DID YOU ONLY PLAY TODAY?'

Yes, I played the whole day through.
I played to learn the things I do.
I speak a problem, find a clue
and work out for myself just what to do.
My teacher's set the scene, and stay near-by to help me when I really try.
They are there to pose the problems, and to help me think.
I hope they will keep me floating and never let me sink.
All of this is in my head and not in my bag. It makes me sad to hear you say -

'HAVEN'T YOU DONE ANYTHING TODAY?'

When you attend your meeting today and do your work I will remember not to say to you -

'WHAT NOTHING IN YOUR BAG? WHAT DID YOU DO?'

~Author Unknown

PEACE to all you AMAZING MAMAS and PAPAS out there.
We are doing our best right, man this parenting thing is tough!

Jennifer

7 comments:

Melissa said...

This is great! I will be reposting this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Sybille said...

Thank you for the poem!

jojoebi-designs said...

I love this poem, I maybe reposting it too...

Patty said...

Is it ok to post this on my website too? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

wonderful...wonderful...wonderful...

Anonymous said...

I've read your blog for a long time now, but haven't ever been moved enough to take the time to write. In fact I never reply to any blogs I read, until today. This poem spoke to me on many levels, and I hope you don't mind but I forwarded it to my daughter's preschool teacher. (a co-op school- she has taught there for 20 years!) Thank you for posting it. And though I may not write again, (Heather in Virginia), I will continue to read.

Anonymous said...

That poem was just brilliant! I'm going to ask my boss if we can post it on our school newsletter, and I will be re-posting it on my blog. Thanks!

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails