Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Today is Monday by Eric Carle


Inspired by the lovely and talented Jean over at The Artful Parent, I'm sharing another Eric Carle language extension I made long ago. Using the book Today is Monday, I reproduced the types of food eaten in the story. (I cut mine out using colored construction paper but you could make color copies of the illustrations and reduce their size) Next laminate so they will hold up with repeated use. Provide days of the week cards for the children to match the food choices with.

(*MM's notes: Looking at this old photo I'm thinking for non-readers this work could be created as a matching. Instead of leaving the lower squares empty under the days of the week, add the images of the animals in those boxes. Then the children could match the food with the animal! I think I'll have to make another one.)
For another Eric Carle language extension please visit my past post 'Lovin' Eric Carle'
In PEACE
Montessori Mama

6 comments:

Melissa said...

This is something we'll definitely do! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence to come back here after a few weeks of utter chaos here (moving house, poor health, etc), to find you blogging on something I've been thinking a lot about these last few days. My daughter is getting very interested in the days of the week and I've been wondering how best to make it captivating for her. I don't have any Eric Carle books (I know!), but I will hunt through the books she does have and see if I can find a favourite character/story to create activities around.

~ Cindy

mjomesa said...

hi MM, I am Mike. I am also a Montessori teacher here in Philippines. Ever heard of The Abba's Orchard School.? I am just new to this method but this is my second year as a Montessori teacher. And I am still learning more. I wish you can be of help. You can visit my blog also. Just newly made it.

Jennifer Howard said...

Hi Mike,
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have!
This is my 16th year as a teacher and I am still learning more. :)
I'd be happy to learn with you.
PEACE MM

mjomesa said...

thanks MM for the response. I see that you also like painting. I also like to paint, sketch, doodle and draw. Nice to find a Montessori teacher fond also of those things. :)

Penelope Sanchez said...

My Daughter and I love this book. It helps her remember the days of the week. We giggle and laugh and sing out the words. I highly recommend this book for any child just learning to read.

Mariz
Visit us iPad Repair Redmond

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails