Friday, August 21, 2009

Crayon Exploration


Little One is 3 and 1/2 years old and READY for preschool. This weekend he discovered some loose crayons (I KNOW, why didn't I have those put up and away?) anyway he decided to (and I quote) "decorate our windows".

They are quite lovely decorations, beautiful actually BUT; crayons are really for paper NOT windows. I know I've mentioned this before one or two times since becoming a Mom 16 years ago.
Some things are easier to enforce than others.
And being an artist myself, saying to another artist (even a very young artist) that what they created is well, not acceptable, is heartbreaking. I know I'm a wimp. But honestly, he was so into the process of "decorating the windows"......

So, what did I do?
I left them the way he had decorated them. He was so proud. I was honoring his creative side. But I did collect the crayons, before he moved on to the walls ;)
And one day soon we will practice the 'art of washing the windows' and removing the decorations will become part of that new process.

PEACE to you and your little artists!
Jennifer

4 comments:

robert said...

With the kid becoming two in a couple of days, this entry of your was surely of interest, as he likes to draw as well.
Please have a nice Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a 3-6yr old Montessori teacher. I love your continent work and was wandering how it works and can you give more details on it. I think the toddler teacher would love somthing like this.
Thanks
Reve

Danielle said...

They sell special washable crayons JUST for this purpose!! They have some really nice ones in the Nova catalog and then of course a more affordable version at AC Moore.

Nina said...

love this post.

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails