- basket of dried bread
- small wooden hammer(play dough hammers work great)
- plastic bag (sandwich size or recycle an old bread bag)
- carpet square (to muffle hammering sound)
- tray/or table top surface
The child takes a piece of dried bread and places it in the bag.
He/she hammers the bread into fine crumbs, then pours the crumbs into the bowl.
He/she continues this process until the bowl is filled with bread crumbs.
He/she then carries the bowl over to the bird feeder and empties it.
He/she returns the bowl to the tray, then sits back and watches the birds eat the feed.
- to feed the birds
- gross motor skill development
- to feel helpful and good about providing food for animals
- frustration release