Monday, March 9, 2009

The Peace Box



While at the AMS conference I came across this beautiful addition to my classroom. It's called The Peace Box and it was designed by an amazing toddler Montessori teacher Marcia Hublebank and created by the Nature & Nurture Learning store. I adore this! Obviously Little One is fond of it too.

You introduce the Peace Box with a photo of Maria Montessori, then follow with other Peace Makers you are fond of (Helen Keller, Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. Johnny Appleseed) and then mid year when your children are familiar with discovering peacemakers inside the box, you include photos of them! Isn't that lovely?

I can't wait to introduce this new circle activity. Marcia shared during her workshop that each of the laminated photos she presents have a small velcro tab on the back of them so that they can be hung in the classroom on the wall where she has a felt rainbow. Above the rainbow it says "The Gallery of Peacemakers".
In PEACE
Jennifer

12 comments:

Sara said...

Hi there,
I love this and would love to have something similar. My google-fu is failing me, however, and I can't find a link to anything like this to purchase. Do you have a link or email you could post? Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I love this & would love to make something similar for our home. Thanks for sharing :)

Kari said...

This was one of my favorite finds at the conference also! That was a fun workshop! It was also fun meeting you there!

Anonymous said...

I would love this for my class. Is there a link to where this could be bought? Thanks

Jennifer Howard said...

Hey everyone,
I'm working on the link. I met the creator at the conference and the info. given did not include a link to a web page! But I have a phone number and I am following up. I'll post info when I have it. Thanks for your interest! The kids LOVE this work. I think every classroom should have one.
PEACE
J

Jessica Monte said...

I love this one! I appreciate activities that encourage tolerance and the life of getting along with others for our children. I really hope that Annabelle gets to do something like this when she begins preschool. I suppose we could start a project similar to this one at home and have her place pictures of herself, her loved ones, and of course, people we admire (including her favorite of late, Obama =)).

Jennifer Howard said...

Great IDEA! this will you please send me a note. I'd love to link readers to your blog.
PS I mailed your bird yesterday (Saturday) you should get it soon.
PEACE
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I love the Montessori philosophy and I am very excited I found your blog!! My daughter is going to a montessori preschool and my son went to one too. It's such a wonderful way to teach children!! I look forward to learning from your blog!!

Onna
http://toddlercraft.net

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I love the Montessori philosophy and I am very excited I found your blog!! My daughter is going to a montessori preschool and my son went to one too. It's such a wonderful way to teach children!! I look forward to learning from your blog!!

Onna
http://toddlercraft.net

Amy J said...

I know you are working on it - but I just wanted to let you know that I am also anxiously awaiting where I can get this material. - love the blog!

Pauline said...

What an awesome idea! I love it!!
Is it available anywhere online do you know?

Pauline
www.forlittleones.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

Have you found the name of the company that makes this

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails