Monday, October 6, 2008

Happy Fall!


Little One, his Papa and big brother all marched in the Church Street Fall Parade. Two flowers and one pooh bear (not pictured) I face painted street side and watched the crowd.
This was the highlight of my weekend for sure, face painting at the church street festival! But really, if I am being completely honest, my most favorite moment was when Middle Man (my spirited child) who participates in the annual cake walk again and again and NEVER wins, WON a cake for the first time. As the music started to play and he anxiously stood on his 'lucky number' 3, I felt my stomach and jaw tighten anticipating the let down tantrum that would follow when yet again, he did not win a cake. Can I just stop here to say this: he doesn't EVEN like to EAT cake!!!
It's the winning or rather the loosing that hurts him. Again and again, year after year....but thankfully NOT this year!
It was a much more enjoyable experience this year, I'll tell you.
Little One was photographed for the local paper and enjoyed chasing his best friend Stella around a big tree, kicking leaves and dancing. Montessori Papa I'm pretty sure could think of 10 other things he would have rather done, but in the end had a good time. Middle Man is still talking about it (and I will note* The uneaten cake still sits on the kitchen counter, like a shrine to the day).
Ahh....Middle Man, you certainly keep me on my toes! I love you so. To all of you with children who did NOT win a cake this year, I hope your child has recovered from the disappointment. Who invented the CAKE WALK anyway?
So tell me, how was your weekend?
Happy Fall to one and all!
~MM
Now back to our regular scheduled Montessori programming...

3 comments:

Shannon said...

My weekend was nice, thanks for asking! We went to a family reunion and on a hike, so my favorite things. I was happy to see your post tonight. I can tell you are busy with your new job!

plaidshoes said...

I LOVE cake walks. Every year at our church potlucks, I try to get one going. Unfortunately, not as many adults as me, see their enormous value! I am glad to read that they are still popular in some places. And CONGRATS! to middle man. I was often in his "non-winning" shoes! Anyway, I better stop writing, b/c I could go on and on about my love for cake walks ;-)

Anonymous said...

And WHY, my goodness, do they say it's a cake walk, meaning it's EASY??

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails