Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lost and Found


While shopping at our brand new Goodwill store I made a wonderful discovery! I found a copy of Nature Crafts for Kids by Gwen Diehn and Terry Krautwurst, a book I had once owned and treasured. I lost my copy years ago when we moved to Maine and have longed for it every summer because of the wonderful nature crafts it possessed. And yesterday I found it! Stuck between some children's stories and only $0.99!!
Some of the craft ideas it instructs with beautiful photos and easy to follow step by step instructions, are:
  • How to make paper with inlaid leaves
  • Walnut printing
  • turnip lanterns
  • Mushroom spore prints
  • Making nature kaleidoscopes
  • How to make sun prints
  • Wild Flower candle making
  • constructing a cement bird bath
...and the list goes on....
I highly recommend this book for parent/teachers working with elementary age children.
~~MM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love stopping by your blog! I tried to find this book at our library and wasn't able to but instead found another by the 2 authors called 'Kids Style Nature Crafts' for gr.4-8 which is perfect for my son :) I have requested a copy and am looking forward to seeing it and will still try to find a copy of the one you have as well since we have done spore printing with fantastic results, but I'm interested in the cement bird bath and walnut prints :) Hope you share some photos if you do some activities.
Have a wonderful evening,
Nature Mama

Jennifer Howard said...

Thanks for the comment Nature Mama.
I will share photos as the summer progresses. I'm looking forward to the nut prints most of all, it's funny you mentioned that one.
I am having a wonderful evening thank you, you too.
In PEACE
MM

Hyperher said...

I love the new store. Badly needed!

NJ Tracy Jean said...

I love that book too! Haven't used it much in recent years since my kids are bigger. You inspired me to dig it out again--thanks!

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails