Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Healing Hugs

My Little One has been sick with a tummy bug this week.

At morning circle, when one of my students was out sick, we would light a special candle and send a "Healing Hug" to our absent friend. As a group we would wrap our arms around our own bodies (in a hug) and close our eyes and send love and well wishes up and into the air by lifting our arms to the sky. When we extinguished the candle we would say the name of our missing friend(s) and "we hope you feel better".
When children who had been home from school sick would return, they would inevitably ask, "Did you send me a healing hug when I was out?"
and I would always say
"Of course we did, we miss you when you are not here."
Their little face would light up feeling loved and missed by their classroom family.
It started as a community building tool, but it became more than that.

Please send my Little One a 'Healing Hug' if time allows. It's been a long week and it's only Wednesday.
~~~MM

8 comments:

plaidshoes said...

What a beautiful idea. I sure wish you were our Directress! I will definately send some healing hugs your little ones way. It is so hard to see them not feeling well. I hope you and the rest of your family are feeling better soon.

Shannon said...

I just found your blog yesterday but I think it is the one I have been looking for! Wonderful stuff here.

amanda. said...

much peace to the bellies in your family! a big healing hug from noah, jonah & i to you all.

Jennifer Howard said...

Thank you for your well wishes!
Little one is feeling better today.
See Healing Hugs DO work!
Smiles,
MM

plaidshoes said...

I am glad to read that he is doing better!

Melissa said...

I hope your little one is feeling better today!

village mama said...

One more healing hug so the bug doesn't come back! xo Village Mama

Anonymous said...

i just stumbled upon your blog, and it's a new favorite. thank you for sharing this healing hug story. i taught prek and kindergarten and am beginning montessori teacher training next year. i too used to do a similar ritual with my class. we'd sit in a circle and have a quiet time to think about our friend who was sick or not at school with us. miss sweet moments like that now that i'm not currently teaching.

Where in the World?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails